Being

Living and loving life in this moment

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Ordinary Joy


#27 Ordinary joy. Our most profound joy is often experienced during ordinary moments. What was one of your most joyful ordinary moments this year?

I’ve found myself inspired by these two quotes when thinking about just how beautiful life really is.

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it?—every, every minute?"
- Thornton Wilder, Our Town

“Oh. If life were made of moments,
Even now and then a bad one-!
But if life were only moments,
Then you'd never know you had one.”- Steven Sondheim, Into the Woods

Ever since I made a list for how I’m beautifully different I’ve found myself making lists like that in my head. And what better way to embrace the idea of joy in every, ordinary moment? So here are 25 “Joyful (ordinary) Moments” from this year.

1.     A fire in the fireplace
2.     Fresh sheets on the bed
3.     Warm towels after a hot shower
4.     The time to just sit and enjoy glass of wine
5.     A bubble bath
        6.     When the light bulb comes on for one of my Kindergarteners
7.     Playing with my friends’ children
8.     Hitting a yoga class with J
9.     Cooking dinner with my roommate
10. Having my mom come in and help in my classroom
11. Starting a new book
12. Getting ALL the laundry folded. And put away.
13. Getting puppy kisses from a new dog
14. Bringing home fresh flowers
       15. Watching the tree that we adopted change throughout the seasons
16. Lighting candles for no reason
17. Cooking with my dad
18. Colorado sunsets. And sunrises.
19. Getting snowed in
                          20. Seeing Hot-Air Balloons in the mornings and planes at Vance Brand airport every time I drive by
21. Sleeping with the windows open in the fall and spring
                         22. The way a small child lays their head on my shoulder when he or she is sleepy
23. Reading picture books to my class
              24. Driving behind a John Deere on country roads and having to slow down
             25. Telling the people I love that I love them and watching it light up their faces


No comments:

Post a Comment