Being

Living and loving life in this moment

Thursday, December 23, 2010

New Name


#23 New name. Let's meet again, for the first time. If you could introduce yourself to strangers by another name for just one day, what would it be and why?

I’m sure other people are feeling a lot more creative on this post. I simply can’t imagine myself as anything other than Alexis.
There were one hundred other names I might’ve chosen as a child… Samantha, Gwendolyn, Genevieve, Charlotte, Amelia, Lydia… but as I look up their meanings none of them still resonate with me, with whom I am today.
Alexis is derived from Alexander and it means protector or defender of mankind.  As a child I thought that was pretty lame. But given my chosen career, working with young children it all makes sense now.
And I think it fits me.  Which is part of why I’m so fierce about being called by my actual name and not a nickname.  My family calls me Alex- hence the blog title, but very few other people have the privilege of doing so.  I don’t really answer to Lex or Lexi, so Alexis it is.

PS- Good job Mom and Dad!

1 comment:

  1. "...protector or defender of mankind" So awesome, I wouldn't change my name for a day either. Next on the agenda is to design a cape! :)

    ReplyDelete